Town of New Holstein History
The town was officially formed on March 2, 1849 under Chapter 59 of the Wisconsin statutes. A meeting was held on June 25, 1849 at Claus Oesau's house, where the first town council was elected, with chairman Charles Gruening, town supervisors Henry Volquarts and Claus Oesau, town clerk E. Veers, town assessor Wm. B. Griem, and town fenceviewers Claus Tams, Hy. Pieper, Ch. Bock, and T. Trembur.